Tuesday, July 5, 2011

God's story in Austin

The last blog I posted was about my brother Austin, you can read it here to get an update on his stay living with us.

Austin lived with us for a month, he had struggles but I have never seen more miracles in my life than I did during this last month. We would stay up late most nights just talking about God, Christ, and how much He loved Austin. It was so amazing to see how much God worked in Austin's heart over this last month. In the beginning of his stay with us Austin began to acknowledged a Higher Power, but by the end of the month, we were sharing about Christ again and read in 1 John 5 with him. It looked like a light bulb went off in his head, and he said, "I can understand this now."

Austin never prayed a prayer of salvation that night, but I know how faithful my God is, and I KNOW that he spared Austin's life during SO many other suicide attempts so that Austin could have that month to know and understand God, and he did.

Saturday night was our best friends wedding. Tim & I & Gracie were all apart of the wedding party. My parents came down and attended the wedding with my brother. At the reception right before Austin left, I grabbed Gracelyn from him and told him I loved him and good bye. That was the last time I ever spoke to him.

Sunday afternoon we realized some money missing from our account and saw it got transferred into Austins account in the middle of the night. We began our search for him. The police tracked his phone to Springfield, IL so Monday morning (4th of July) my parents headed back down from Rockford to go with us to search for Austin.

We took 2 separate cars so that we would be able to cover more ground. Tim & I drove around, and spotted his car. Tim ran over and found him passed away. I will forever be grateful that Tim held me so that I would not see my brother in this way. I will never forget the screams I heard from my mom, or the look I witnessed on my dad's face.

As horrifying as this day was, I can still see God's hand in the story. Sparing his life so many other times just until Austin would have the opportunity to hear and learn about God. I am in such awe of my God and so thankful for the opportunity.

As I sat in the detectives office he was interviewing me about my relationship with my brother. I began to pour out the story of how God worked and what He did to spare Austin life during other attempts just so he would know Him. I told him about God and how much he did during Austin's stay with us. The detective looked at me with tears in his eyes, shut the recorder off, and said, "In my line of work, I struggle everyday with how there could be a God with how much hurt and pain there is in the world. But listening to you, I truly believe what you are saying, and how God worked."

God is going to take this horrible tragic event, and turn it for His goodness and His glory. What an AMAZING God we serve!!

So now, in my pain and tears, I choose to have God bring me down the journey of grief, because I do not want to do it on my own. May God receive ALL Glory.

5 comments:

  1. Abby,
    I am very sorry for your loss. I had the fortune of working with Austin with Sirius and spent a trip to St. Louis as his roomate a few years ago. My reason for posting is to further strengthen your post above with how powerful our God truly is. You see, I just received a message from another of my old Sirius team members tonight informing me of Austin's passing. As I sat reading the message, my first thought was, "poor Austin, I hope you found God, my friend". My reason for thinking that was based on a late-night conversation we had, briefly touching on marriage, family, and God. After a long day of work and even longer night of entertainment, Austin and I were talking like we were old friends. We had common ground as I also used to work for Kenwood, back when Mike had to take time off to tend to Austin's troubles way back then. I can remember asking if he had a relationship with God and his response was so quick to say no, yet there was a look of hope on his face as he said "no" so quickly. This was back during the All MLB Star break about 3 years ago.
    After receiving the message, I signed on to Facebook and found the posting from you for this blog; What an overwhealming 5 minutes I have had! I was praying for Austion while reading the message, and then I read your blog affirming that Austin did, indeed, find his way to God. This, to me, is another example of how God works through us and in us every day. I was never really "close" to or with Austin, but just close enough for one night to briefly discuss God, and I am so very thankful for that one conversation we had after now knowing he found his way.
    May God bless you, Mike and the whole family.

    Warm Regards,
    Dave Preston
    Kittery, Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Abby. I am hurting so much for you. There are no words. Because you are standing strong in God's light He is working. What Satan meant for evil God is using for good and to glorify him. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby I'm so sorry to hear about Austin.God is so amazing how He leads us even when we're not sure how to follow. What a great thing to have been able to spend more time with Austin before he passed away. Although he might not have proclaimed his faith in the Lord, he was drawn close to an awesome reflection of our great God in you as his family. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love and prayers,
    Krista Rasanen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby, I love following blogs of people I know. It was only recently that I realized you had one. I had read the one about your bro and had been praying for him. I haven't been online and when I noticed someone posted something on your wall about a death in the family I curiously went to your FB. I am in shock this moment. None of this makes sense, but then... it kind of does. It is so strange how God works sometimes, but oh, how he is perfect. I am certain there were many people who have been praying for him, thanks to your devotion to him and your constant eagerness to blog about the exciting things God is doing in your lives. I don't doubt he has seen our Maker and was smiled upon. Man, I can't get over how perfect God's timing is! And yes, I am so glad Tim was there to not let you see him in that state. Praying for you, dear. Keep up your spirits :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen and Amen! You are all in our prayers!! Just remember, God WILL use this for HIS glory and bring about something amazing! We will pray for the detective as well and that God would reveal Himself to him in a whole new way. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete