Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Melvin & Sharon

I had the honor and privilege on Monday to take a drive down to Kenney, IL to deliver items to a foster family that had lost everything in a fire. We started collecting items and donations at the end of April and the first weekend in May we were able to take a few items we collected and items from our apartment to sell at a garage sale in Rockford at my parents house.

God truly was working at this sale. I had a few people come up to me and just hand me money without even purchasing anything.

One lady I will never forget. She came up to me and said, "I know what it is like to loose everything in a fire. Just recently our house burnt down in a fire, and my 15 year old son was in it." She said she would chose to loose everything again everyday if she could just get her son back. She then handed me $5 and said, "I wish I could give more, but my husband and I just both lost our jobs." I was speechless.

God has been working through this process of raising funds for this family. I met a wonderful lady named Kathy who worked with me in gather items for this family. We drove down together on Monday to deliver these items and we had such a wonderful time serving together.

We arrive in Kenney with a van load of items and we pulled up to a very small camper in the middle of a grass lot. Melvin and Sharon were standing out front to greet us. We started unloading and we were able to speak with them and hear more about their story. It was such a blessing to hear about their lives and how much they love and care for children who don't have a place to call home. This older couple has truly lived their lives to provide some sort of security to kids whom otherwise would be on the streets. I was so encouraged by their positive attitudes and their love. Their living situation is anything from ideal but yet they had a permanent smile planted on their faces when they spoke about their two foster kids.

While speaking with Melvin & Sharon we learned that it's the little girl's birthday on Sunday. Kathy & I told them that we would like to get some birthday gifts for her to open on her birthday. I went out shopping with Gracelyn yesterday for a birthday gift for a soon to be 7 year old girl. I kept thinking about the story Melvin and Sharon told us about these kids and my heart just broke for her. I thought about how Melvin said that the kids have never had anything to call their own.

I began thinking about all the other kids that have similar painful stories. All the other kids who do not have a Melvin & Sharon. All the other kids that are still living in a painful world. We do not have enough Melvin & Sharon's in this world. I realize that God may not call every person to be a foster parent, but God does call us to care for the orphans. In what way can you make a difference in a child's life for the Glory of God?


1 comment:

  1. What you have done for this family is awesome Abby. You are the hands and feet of Christ to them. They will never forget you, even if they don't see you this side of heaven again. Foster care is heart breaking. They are super tough kids but that is b/c they have had lives that we wouldn't wish on anybody. I think I would act up too. I'm so glad these two have the parents they do. What an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete