Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Materialism Challenge Part 3

Now that we have made the decision by God's Grace to live a life more simplistically, (you can read about it here; Materialism Challenge Part 1 & Materialism Challenge Part 2) we are now faced with the challenge of what to do with the extra resources that we are going to have.

Tim & I have decided to face this next year of our life with a new perspective. We decided that we are going on the missions field. We are going to plan our this missions trip, gather funds, help people and share the gospel. This missions trip is going to be a bit different than others we have gone on.

Firstly, this is going to be for at least year. This is the longest "missions trip" either of us has gone on, and it is going to challenge us in new ways because of it's length. Secondly, instead of going overseas this missions trip is going to take place about 3 blocks from where we live now. Our new apartment is going to be our mission field for the next year. We want to help the people around us, right in our own world. We want to share the gospel with them, help with needs financially, and just be there for prayer and encouragement.

The four of us {Aaron, Julie, Tim & I} have always had a passion for missions. But sometimes it almost seems easier for me to go to a 3rd world country and live in their culture of nothingness. It seems easier to want less and to have less. We want to take our heart for the lost and our heart for missions and apply it right here in Normal, IL.

I don't believe people are "called" to missions. I believe this is not a calling for some, and not for other. I believe this is a command we are given to share His name to all the nations, including America, including Normal, IL, including my neighborhood. Where in the Bible does it say that missions is an optional thing for Christians? It doesn't, we are all "called", we are all commanded. God has blessed us individually with different gifts however, and we must seek Him for where He wants to use these gifts most effectively.

I am so excited and humbled to continue to seek God in what He wants to do through not just our extra money, but our changed hearts. The extra money we will have and will do very little, if anything, on it's own. The eternal impact is going to come from our changed hearts & changed lives, in the midst of turning over the reigns to our money & possessions.

I am in such awe of God and how much He wants to do through me, when I am nothing! How humbled I am to know that our Great God can and wants to use me, as sinful, dirty, and broken as I am, for His Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment