Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Materialism Challenge Part 1

For the past year or so God had continually brought up a part of my life that needed to be changed. I have always felt some sort of conviction towards materialism and wanting to live a "simplistic" lifestyle. Most times I can find a way to ignore these convictions out of fear and lack of faith. But over the past year, God has deepened this conviction to new heights. I am not fully ready to discuss what exactly this will me for our family this next year until a few things finalize, but I want to start by just writing about the idea of living a minimalist lifestyle for God's Glory.

I grew up in a household that pretty much got what we want, when we wanted it. Once Tim and I got married obviously this mindset had to change. Although Tim & I have never been "rich" according to the culture around us, we have been so blessed in ways that can only be explained by God.

Over the past year, I have struggled with questions. When I read God's word I see one thing about money and materialism, but then I look at the culture, even the Christian culture, around me and see something completely different. Where is the line in having a savings account for emergencies, and trusting that if an emergency does arise, that God will provide? Where is the line between what we "need" and what we want? The world around us SCREAMS out telling us all the things that we need to have to free up time, energy, money, and even space. I wonder how many of the gadgets we have in our home are true needs instead of luxury. I have battle with these and MANY more questions over the past year, and everyday God seems to bring about a new conviction on the issue.

I write this not for praise for myself and not for attention, but just to question. Question the culture around us. I question how Biblical our Christian culture is in regards to our possessions. I believe that God may not call every Christian to give up everything and give it to the poor, but I do believe that we need to be listening. Listening to God and not the world. We need to be ready. Ready to give it all up if indeed that is what God asks of us. Are you listening? Are you ready?

I wonder how our culture, even our Christian culture around us would react if we did give it all up. Many would say it is unwise financially, many would say that our motive are not pure, and many more would call us irresponsible for not having a plan to make it by.

When I take a step back, and look at Tim & my life as believers, I question. I question how we can live in such comfort when there are millions of people dying from starvation around the world. There are so many people hurting even here in the United States from poverty. Even in our own neighborhood on Rockingham Drive in Normal, there are people hurting. How can it ever be okay for Tim and I to sit back in our comfortable life when God has called us to bring Him to the ends of the earth. If thousands of people are going to die just today alone because they do not have the bare essentials of food to survive, how can I as a Christian sit back in my comfortable life and just do nothing, change nothing.

I can't.

Join me on this journey as I blog about the changes God wants to do in our family's life and the sacrifices He is going to call us to, ALL for HIS GLORY.

7 comments:

  1. Love it hun! Tony and I are starting to take the same journey....we are slowly beginning to give up the dreams of even an empty nest or newer cars. Its hard....for each of us in our own way. We find we get the most temptation from other Christians, especially family members. We used to say "we don't have the money for that." Because in our minds God had put the money some place else. We are starting to say instead "we don't choose to spend our money on that." It makes a much clearer message. But it SO hard. Especially when I look at the Christian world around me and think "they have a 52 in tv and really nice cars and a huge house......so its ok right?" Answering no to that question is so hard! Have you read Radical? Tony and I are going through it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it sure is hard. I think the hardest part for us is the judgement that we fear we may get, even from Christians. Im glad to be on the same journey with you. Yes, we read radical. We have another chapter to go still. Amazing book. God really spoke through it to clarify our convictions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are we the same person right now? Love it Abby! Ryan and I are embarking on the very dame journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elyse, how amazing is our God? I am so excited to see God working and convicting other young married couples on the same issue. I am excited to have encouragement and support from others. Please let us know how we can pray for you guys because it is such a battle of the mind that is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is soooooo exciting! I did a post today kind of on the same subject and included a link to this post of yours ;-) hope that's okay! I actually do have a couple things to ask you about. Will I be seeing you on Sat for Linds' shower?

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw so glad God is giving you similar convictions. I wont be at Lins shower :-( tim and i are going on a marriage retreat! what days are you in Lincoln, id love to come down and hang out with you and chat!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in Lincoln mon-fri! I'll send you a FB message with my number :-)

    ReplyDelete